Gout Cure, Home Remedy Using a Baking Soda Solution
Many people’s first thoughts when stricken with gout are drug-based treatments for gout cure. But baking soda or sodium bicarbonate (i.e., Arm and Hammer®), dissolved in water as a drink, can be an effective home remedy and eliminate the pain as well as symptoms of gout very quickly.
Here are some of the benefits of using baking soda as an easy gout cure:
- Baking soda can dissolve uric acid crystals
- It can reduce or even eliminate the pain
- Baking soda can make uric acid more soluble, therefore easier to excrete
- It increases body fluid volume. This helps the kidneys function more effectively
- Baking soda can increase urine pH. This reduces the risk of kidney stone formation due to uric acid
Gout Treatment Using Baking Soda
So, what causes gout? All of that redness, inflammation, and excruciating pain? These are caused by crystals which have collected in the body’s joints; most often on the big toe, but other joints can be affected. Gout becomes painful because the crystals, if seen under a microscope, resemble tiny needle-like formations.
Excess uric acid in the blood stream caused the crystals to form because the kidneys were unable to process the excess uric acid properly. Uric acid is produced by the body when it breaks down the natural purines in the food and body’s cells. Purines is a chemical compound which plays an big role in supplying protein and energy requirements. Normally, the body’s kidneys processes and flushes out excess uric acid through the urine. However sometimes, this doesn’t occur effectively. The result is that the body ends up with excess uric acid in the blood. When this happens, the crystals form after a while, and then the eventual gout attack.
Since many gout sufferers experience extreme side effects using mainstream, expensive drug-based treatments, many are turning to natural, inexpensive gout cures and remedies that do not have these side effects and high cost. These are lifestyle changes such as like dietary habits (low in purines), herbal and natural supplements, some fruits, berries like cherries and strawberries.
However, a natural home remedy that many people don’t know about is baking soda. When dissolved in water and orally taken over a few hours, it can relieve gout symptoms quite effectively and quickly. Sometimes in as little as two hours, depending on how severe the gout attack is. If you have tried other home remedies that did not work, you may want to try this.
Here’s how to make the baking soda gout cure:
- Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 8 ounces of water (a typical 8 oz glass).
- Drink 8 ounces (a glass), before bedtime
- Drink 8 ounces immediately after getting up in the morning
- Drink 8 ounces every 2 to 4 hours, between meals
- Continue until the gout symptoms disappear
- Do not take more than 4 teaspoons of baking soda per day, i.e. 8 glasses per day.
- Baking soda is high in sodium, reduce your salt intake (salt and diet).
- If suffering from hypertension, monitor your blood pressure. If it rises, stop the treatment immediately.
- As with any home based-remedies and treatment, seek your doctor’s advice before beginning.
- DO NOT use baking powder, this is quite different from baking soda or sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder includes additives that can be harmful when ingested directly (without cooking/baking).
Many have found this gout cure to be very effective. However, its purpose is simply to eliminate only the symptoms of a gout attack (swelling, pain, etc), it cannot prevent the gout symptoms from coming back. Recurring gout attacks cause permanent joint damage and kidney problems among other things. So it is advisable to treat the underlying cause, (i.e., change of diet) to prevent recurrence. And most of all, see your doctor!
© 2013, Filipino Nurses. All rights reserved. DISCLAIMER: The accuracy of all articles contained in this website are the responsibility of their respective authors. All articles are for informational purposes only and are NOT intended to replace the advice of a doctor. The owner of this site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on these information. If you have any health-related questions, please consult your physician. If you feel ill, please seek medical attention immediately.