Nowadays, people are becoming more hooked to achieve a healthier lifestyle- who wouldn’t, right?
With all the available resources, diets and fitness programs out in the market, who wouldn’t want to achieve a healthier body? Having a healthier body means that one can enjoy life more, aside from being able to spend more quality time with the family. One can achieve this by engaging one’s self to regular exercise (aside from choosing healthy food choices and a balanced diet plus getting the right amount of sleep everyday).
Engaging yourself in a regular exercise also help your body in preventing illness. With so many ways of exercise available that one can engage in, almost anyone can achieve a healthier body as long as they set their minds to it.
But first of all, before engaging yourself in an exercise program, here are some helpful reminders to keep yourself safe and prevent any potential problems and future injuries. I may not be much of an expert, but these are the tips that I’d like to share with you that have worked for me. 🙂
- CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. Yes, it is good that you are showing interest in keeping your body healthy, but bear in mind that your safety is always an utmost priority; that’s why you should consult your doctor first if you are fit to exercise (because you might not know if you have any underlying health condition that prohibits you from exercising vigorously (if you have a family history of having heart problems–if you experienced heart attack and/or stroke; if you are overweight and if you have any other health conditions.
- IF YOU’RE JUST STARTING, DON’T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD. The safest way to start your exercise is to start slowly, so that your body will have the time to adjust. Don’t rush yourself into doing a 1 kilometer run on your first day, but rather, you can start by taking a 20-30 minute walk first. Yes, at first you may feel that it’s not enough, but it’s a good start though.
- HYDRATE ALL THE WAY. Be sure to have water available near you to prevent getting dehydrated throughout the day.
- WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GETS GOING. IF YOU FEEL LIKE QUITTING, REMEMBER WHY YOU STARTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. There may be times that you would want to quit. When this happens, allow yourself to slow down and rest. But don’t ever quit. And also, consistency is the key to success.
- HAVE FUN. Where’s the essence of your exercise if you’re not having fun while you’re doing it? You may think that engaging in an exercise program happens in the gym all the time, but really, it’s not. You can exercise and sweat your heart out while doing the things that you enjoy (swimming, basketball, zumba sessions etc.,)
- KNOW WHEN TO STOP. Feeling pain and a certain amount of discomfort when you exercise is normal. Of course, after tiring yourself out, you’ll have sore muscles. But when you feel pain when you exercise, or persistence of it can mean a warning sign that something might be wrong.You should stop exercising right away if you feel: dizzy and/or nauseous, any muscle cramps, sharp pain in any part of your body etc.,If you start to experience any of these during your exercise, it is better to stop gradually for a while (don’t stop abruptly for it can cause problem in your circulation). However, if the pain persists, stop immediately and seek medical attention. Remember, your safety is always an utmost priority.
I hope this helps! Have a great day everyone! 🙂
© 2014, Filipino Nurses. All rights reserved. DISCLAIMER: The accuracy of all articles contained in this website are the responsibility of their respective authors. All articles are for informational purposes only and are NOT intended to replace the advice of a doctor. The owner of this site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on these information. If you have any health-related questions, please consult your physician. If you feel ill, please seek medical attention immediately.