If there have been facts that are useful to every person for the betterment of his or her health, you must also be insightful of the different myths or rumors in accomplishing a good health that are considered to be fallacious. Some of these false rumors are:
- Foods with high fiber contents can impede colon cancer – Although it is a fact that high fiber foods can thwart diabetes and can regulate cholesterol levels as well, it has nothing to do with preventing colon cancer.
- A detox diet is very beneficial– Detox diet is having an extremely limited intake of foods known to have fats and cholesterol and consumes mostly on water or juice. This type of diet was claimed to eliminate the toxins inside our body through urine, feces, skin and breath. Nevertheless, doctors, scientists and dietitians never approved of this diet. In fact, this could only lead to more detrimental results and one of those is vitamin deficiencies.
- Moving from an outdoor with a burning temperature to a cold room could give you colds – This rumor is entirely false. Cold viruses could be acquired when staying in close contact with individuals who are infected with colds.
- When a regular exercise session is ceased, the developed muscles turn to fats – This is more of a misinterpretation. There is no such thing as muscles converted into fats. Rather, body composition shifts to the fats more when you miss your sessions since you are no longer having enough activities to burn the new calories that you consume.
- Foods with low-fat contents can decrease your weight – Studies have shown that consuming fewer amounts of calories is the only way to impede your weight from increasing. Never be reliant on eating foods with no calories and low amount of fats since most of them contain unhealthy ingredients such as sugar.
- Multivitamins should be taken before meals or on an empty stomach – This is another fallacious rumor. Food enhances the body’s absorption of nutrients. Hence, vitamins should be taken after meals to be absorbed well. Furthermore, taking multivitamins on a full stomach decreases the risks of gastric irritation. Finally, never combine the intake of multivitamins and caffeinated beverages since any drinks containing caffeine thwart the body from absorbing vitamins and minerals.
- Fruits and vegetables in juice form are better than eating them in whole – The information that juicing fruits and vegetables can allow us to have better absorption of nutrients is indeed factual. Nonetheless, doing this can have a downside. Compared to eating fruits and vegetables, their juice forms have limited fiber contents. Therefore, it is recommended to limit juiced fruits and vegetables to only one to two servings.
- Having a sauna session can lose weight – Take note, the only thing you will lose when having a sauna is water weight and you will easily gain it back once you have your drink of water or a bite of food.
© 2011, Filipino Nurses. All rights reserved. DISCLAIMER: The accuracy of all articles contained in this website are the responsibility of their respective authors. All articles are for informational purposes only and are NOT intended to replace the advice of a doctor. The owner of this site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on these information. If you have any health-related questions, please consult your physician. If you feel ill, please seek medical attention immediately.