Top 5 for SUMMER – Skincare tips for the summer
It’s summertime! The most awaited part of the year for children and students! Summer means unlimited vacation, sun exposure, bronzed skin, swimming pools, beaches, shorts, bathing suits and many other more.
Our favorite parts of summer might be the sunshine and warm weather (well, not to mention island hopping, city tours, refreshing water on beaches and swimming pools etc.), but remember, too much of everything is also not good. Too much sun exposure can zap your skin and hair of their natural moisture, making it damaged and dry.
Let us share with you some tips and tricks for fighting summer dryness!
- Gear up! Summer means vacation, and vacation means preparing all kinds of stuffs for you and your loved ones. First of all, if planning for a vacation or staying outdoors for most of your summer getaway, prepare your much-needed summer paraphernalias: summer outfits, umbrella, wide hat, lip balm, sun screen/sun block, sun glasses, cover-up for long period of exposure etc.
- Keep yourself hydrated. The heat of the sun flushes water out of our skin and that’s why our body tends to lose a lot of moisture during summer. It is important to regularly replenish these lost fluids for us not to become dehydrated and/or have dry skin. Drink water throughout the day. In addition to drinking the recommended 8-10 glasses of water a day, eat water-rich food and fruits like apples, watermelons, melons, etc., to add extra hydration to your skin. If you’re always on-the-go, be sure to remember bringing a bottle of water and/or any drink before leaving the house. However, one may be tempted to drink aerated/softdrinks to quench your thirst, but mind you, remember that these drinks are full of sugar which is not good for you. Instead, drink water and fresh fruit juices
- Protect from the sun. If you can, try and stay indoors from 11am up to 3pm. That’s when the sun’s rays are the strongest and it can have bad effects on your skin. We have been used to the idea that sunscreen is applied whenever we go swimming, but sunscreen should be applied everytime we go out and expose ourselves to the scorching heat of the sun.
- Moisturize. Boost with antioxidants. Remember A-C-E. Skincare products containing antioxidants like Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E can help reverse skin damage.The intense heat of the sun in combination with humidity and air conditioning can create havoc on your skin—it will gradually make your skin thin and cause wrinkles, so it’s equally important to protect and moisturize your skin. Pick and use a moisturizer with SPF that is best suited for your skin type and apply it after taking a bath, before heading out and before going to bed—this will keep your skin soft, smooth and hydrated.
- Eat healthy. An addition to the tips above, don’t forget to eat a balanced diet!
This may be a short list to start with, but hey, this can help you counterattack the damaging rays of the sun! Keep safe and enjoy the rest of summer, guys!
© 2017, Filipino Nurses. All rights reserved. DISCLAIMER: The accuracy of all articles contained in this website are the responsibility of their respective authors. All articles are for informational purposes only and are NOT intended to replace the advice of a doctor. The owner of this site disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on these information. If you have any health-related questions, please consult your physician. If you feel ill, please seek medical attention immediately.